As the water and wastewater industry changes, there is a need to recognize the individuals who provide management leadership to the industry and set the standard for the future. As the "UMC" designation filters throughout the industry it will set the bar of excellence that others will strive to meet. Certified UMC personnel will gain recognition and be better prepared for the future with documentation of demonstrated skills and knowledge. The "UMC" designation will establish the standard for tomorrow's management leaders.
The "UMC" program is not designed to train personnel. Rather, it is designed to let applicants demonstrate they have the basic knowledge and skills to be proficient in the complex field of utility management. The minimum requirements are established to ensure the integrity of the certification and that applicants have the years of experience and knowledge necessary to step into a management position.
- To begin the process, complete the application. You must have a minimum of 100 points in order to be eligible to take the certification exam.
- If you are eligible, send the completed application form along with the exam payment of $315 ($250 for the exam + $55 for the study guide + $10 for shipping & handling) to North Dakota Rural Water Association.
- Once we have certified you are eligible to take the exam, the study guide will be shipped to you, and you will be sent a link to access the online exam.
- You will have 60 days to take the test once you are notified. Upon exam completion, you will receive your real time score. A minimum score of 70% is required to pass.
- If the exam is not passed on the first attempt, you will have 90 days to take the exam again at no additional cost.